Quinoa is one of the fastest growing foods in the world. It has been a staple food for centuries in South America, and has gained popularity as an excellent source of plant-based protein. Here are some tips on how to cook quinoa.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Steps to cook quinoa
1. Wash in a strainer
Then rinse with cold water to clear the grains of any debris such as sand or dirt.,
2. Weigh out 1 cup quinoa per person, depending on how hungry you are and what size portion your family likes best (I buy it in bulk), then measure its volume based on weight: I usually do about 1/4 pound for 2 people not including other ingredients like pasta sauce etc… Some people make their own quinoa so if you have a dehydrator, chances are they will be able to make it at home too ;).
3. Add your chosen spices and cooking method (boiling or steaming on stove top) together with olive oil and cover the liquid tightly while steam is boiling underneath in small aluminum foil bowl.
4. Steam for 20 minutes or put ingredients into pot where water comes up 3 inches over the quinoa and boil on stove until done.
5. Pourliquid into colander and run water over quinoa while squeezing as much liquid out of grains until it’s nice and creamy (typically between 1:30-5:00 hours depending on temperature).
6. Once you’ve reached the desired amount, put in fridge to chill for an hour or so then enjoy!
Other great ways to cook Quinoa
Steaming On Your Stove:
A great healthy alternative to rice, quinoa will feed you on just a third of the calories. To get good results, continue with this cooking method until it has reached your desired consistency.
Soak Quinoa overnight in cold water and boil as directed above, drain when done then serve. 1 cup dry = 2-3 cups finished product (drain excess fluid before mixing into recipe)
Preferably brown quinoa for a deeper flavor, cook at high heat with water steaming underneath. Quinoa flakes and quick food ideas If you don’t have time to eat it cold or are looking for quinoa recipes on the cheap, there are always these things! Trader Joe’s (if they still carry this product) Check out my old post on current trends in the health and diet world of quinoa. 1/2 cup = approximately 3 cups cooked You can google this by typing “quinoa recipes” into the search bar. Enjoy!
Quinoa is a plant-based protein. It has many health benefits and is also gluten free. There are many different ways to cook quinoa, but here we have listed a few of the best quinoa recipes that you can try at home.