Employment law is incredibly important for both employers and employees alike and it is used in cases of Constructive Dismissal that might be filed with a company like Employment Law Friend as well as in other legal cases.
There are a number of legal aspects of employment that employers and managers need to be aware of. Some of these include:
- Ensuring the business is registered with HMRC as an employer. This will also activate your need to run a payroll scheme and to ensure that you are paying the right National Insurance rate for your employees.
- It is important that you ensure that everyone who works for you has the legal right to work in the UK. This will require you to check a number of documents to prove identity etc.
- Ensure that you have employment contracts in place for all of your employees and that these are up to date and signed by both the employee and a relevant person within your business.
- It is important to make sure that your salaries are in line with the governments minimum wage for all your employees. This changes each year so be sure to change your salaries as necessary as well.
- Make sure that your employees all receive the right amount of holiday entitlement. There is a legal limit that includes all of the bank holidays or time in lieu of these if you work in a sector where your employees need to work bank holidays as a part of their role.